Anaesthetic Group has created a system whereby this new element of ANZCA’s triennial CPD programme can automatically be completed using Patient Experience Surveys.
All new Anaesthetic Group members are automatically set up to receive ANZCA CPD Patient Experience Surveys.
Existing Standard and Premium Plan members can now choose between two versions of a post-op feedback form on their profile page:
- Standard Post-Op Feedback form – with responses direct to the anaesthetist (no CPD credits)
- ANZCA CPD-compliant Patient Experience Survey – (receive CPD credits)
Patient feedback form differences
Standard Post-Op Feedback
The old post-op feedback form allowed for either anonymous or patient-identified feedback to be provided, and was communicated directly with the anaesthetist member.
ANZCA CPD Patient Survey
Existing Members can alternatively choose to have a post-op feedback form that is compliant with the new ANZCA CPD programme’s Patient Experience Surveys. The anaesthetist member does not receive the direct feedback from patients, instead they go to an administrator and Anaesthetic Group provides the administrator a summary upon request automatically when you receive the minimum 15 responses.
Each Practice Evaluation (Summary) Survey is worth 20 credits, and is one of four types of Practice Evaluation activities that must be completed each triennium (every 3 years). The best part is that once we set this up for you on Anaesthetic Group, this collection and collation of patient feedback is automated with minimal effort on your part!
How do Anzca CPD Patient Experience Surveys work (quick)
- You advise us the email address of your administrator (e.g a colleague, partner or secretary) who will receive a copy of your surveys
- We compile a summary for your administrator upon request automatically when you receive the minimum 15 responses
- You meet with your administrator to discuss your ANZCA CPD patient survey results
- You receive CPD points
- Read the detailed version here
How do I upgrade to the ANZCA CPD Patient Survey
New Members – All new members automatically receive the ANZCA CPD Patient Experience Survey
Existing Members – Please contact us so we can change your form over
How does Anaesthetic Group help with the ANZCA CPD Patient Experience Survey
- Anaesthetic Group will set up your ANZCA CPD Patient Experience Survey on your profile
- We will email all entries to your administrator
- We will provide a summary to your administrator upon request automatically when you receive the minimum 15 responses
How do I encourage patients to complete the survey:
- On your profile page in your about section (we will link it to your form)
- On your invoices sent by your billing service (advise patients to visit your profile page shortlink e.g anaestheticgroup.com.au/gasman)
We find the best ways to encourage patients to complete your survey is by asking them:
“After your procedure I would appreciate you taking just a few minutes to fill out my Patient Experience Survey. Your answers are completely anonymous and will help me greatly in improving the way I care for patients in the future.”
What does the Anaesthetic Group summary look like:
How do Anzca CPD Patient Experience Surveys work (detailed)
For Patient Experience Survey to be compliant, ANZCA’s Patient Experience Survey guidelines dated November 2013 must be considered (phrases in italics are quotes from these guidelines):
- The patients must be notified pre-operatively that they may be asked to complete a patient experience survey regarding the care provided by the anaesthetist and anaesthetic team. For Anaesthetic Group members, the easiest way to do this is to have a section on their profile page advising patients of this, eg. “Once you have recovered from your admission to hospital, I would appreciate you taking just a few minutes to complete my Patient Experience Survey. Your answers are completely anonymous and will help me greatly in improving the way I care for patients in the future”
- Member anaesthetists can choose to complete the Patient Experience Surveys as a group over a two to six week period (depending on case load). UPDATE – ANZCA CPD staff have confirmed that alternative timing arrangements are also acceptable, for example and quoting an ANZCA CPD staff member “there is no real time frame in place with the Patient Experience Survey, and in reality it could take some time to collect the surveys back, so 25 surveys over a 6 month period would be fine with this activity”
- An ‘administrator’ must be chosen, and their email address provided to Anaesthetic Group eg. a colleague, partner or secretary
- A ‘feedback provider’ can be chosen to provide feedback to the anaesthetist member, although this can be the same person as the administrator eg. a colleague, partner or secretary
- To obtain the most meaningful result, the survey should be completed within two weeks of surgery. The date the survey is completed is the day the administrator receives it, whilst the date of the operation is indicated in the completed survey
- It is suggested that administrators distribute approximately 20-30 surveys per specialist. Responses from a minimum of 15 surveys per specialist must be included on the summary sheet. Anaesthetic Group will provide the summary sheet for your administrator upon request.
- After a minimum of 15 surveys has been entered on the survey summary sheet, the administrator sends the completed summary to the member anaesthetist and the feedback provider (if applicable) so they can review the result
- If a feedback provider assists, the member anaesthetist and the feedback provider should meet for approximately 20-30 minutes to talk about the results of the survey
- The completed Patient Experience Survey Confidentiality and CPD Verification form is submitted to ANZCA
- Completion of this activity can be recorded on the CPD portfolio system
- Member anaesthetist will be asked to provide the following information:
- Survey distribution method
- Number of surveys distributed
- Number of surveys included in results summary
- Name and contact details of the administrator or feedback provider
- If a member anaesthetist is selected to be involved in the random audit of CPD activities, the member anaesthetist must provide evidence of the review. A copy of the survey used and the survey confidentiality and CPD verification form is acceptable. This form can then be uploaded to the CPD portfolio system
What does your administrator need to do
- Select a broad cross section of patients to be involved – if all patients are invited via your profile page to participate, then this by definition is a broad cross-section. Alternatively, your administrator could choose to invite a smaller representative sub-group
- Distribute the survey – your administrator can choose how to encourage patients to participate. Some members include an invite on each patient’s account, other members have text messages sent to patient’s referring them to their profile page to complete the survey
- Ensure patients do not feel under pressure to respond positively
- Follow up on completed surveys – the completed surveys are automatically communicated to the administrator. An important difference between Anaesthetic Group’s default post-op feedback form and the Patient Experience Survey is that the member anaesthetist never directly receives any of the completed Patient Experience Surveys – all surveys are anonymously communicated directly to the administrator
- Collate results when the minimum number of surveys have been completed – Anaesthetic Group will provide a summary report to the administrator upon request automatically when you receive the minimum 15 responses to simplify feedback even further
Other FAQs on ANZCA CPD Patient Experience Surveys
What do you need to do to receive ANZCA CPD Patient Surveys
- Advise us of the email address of your administrator / feedback provider (on sign up or by contacting us)
- Ask your billing company to include a note on your invoices to ask patients to complete the survey
- Periodically meet with your administrator / feedback provider to discuss your results
How often will Anaesthetic Group send the survey and summary?
Your ANZCA CPD Patient Experience Surveys are automatically emailed to your administrator as they are received.
Your summary of surveys is collated upon request by Anaesthetic Group. Anaesthetic Group will automatically create a summary report and send it to your administrator when you receive the minimum 15 responses.
Is there an extra fee for this?
No. It is included on all Standard and Premium plans.
Is the form secure?
Yes! Like all forms received on Anaesthetic Group, your ANZCA CPD Patient Experience Surveys are transmitted over encrypted channels and HTTPS. Our website is also hosted on secure Australian hosted servers ensuring your patient information is safe.
Can I see an example of the forms?
ANZCA CPD Patient Experience Survey – Click here
I have more questions – who do I ask:
If you have more questions please don’t hesitate to contact us or speak to ANZCA.
How can I receive ANZCA CPD Patient Surveys now?
Click here to sign up to Anaesthetic Group to start receiving your ANZCA CPD Patient Experience Surveys. We have no lock-in contracts, no fees for cancelling, or pausing your plan. We only charge one single monthly plan amount.